The 2020 Crossword Hobbyist Scholarship has ended. See you in 2021!
Visit our blog to discover the 2020 Crossword Scholarship winner, see the finalists & semi-finalists, and solve all winning puzzles.
About the Crossword Scholarship
At Crossword Hobbyist, we believe in the importance of education for all students no matter their background. Making a successful crossword puzzle is challenging work. We strive to encourage and reward the the creative thinking and hard work that goes into writing crosswords with our annual Crossword Hobbyist Scholarship.
The Crossword Scholarship competition is open to all current or incoming undergraduate students who will be enrolled for the Fall 2020 semester.
How to Apply
It’s no surprise that we love crosswords! Instead of a typical essay, Crossword Scholarship applicants create and submit one 15×15 newspaper-style crossword puzzle on Crossword Hobbyist. The theme should focus on a topic that you’re passionate about. It can be anything you want! Animals, music, skateboarding, cupcakes, retro video games–the sky really is the limit.
Warning: don’t create a standard-style puzzle! To avoid this mistake, take the following steps:
- Create a free account on Crossword Hobbyist.
- Go to the “My Puzzles” page from the navigation bar.
- Click the “Newspaper Style” puzzle button.
No matter what theme you choose, the puzzle should meet the standards of professional newspaper-style puzzles as listed here. A submitted puzzle should have a maximum of 78 words. Creators who make puzzles with fewer black squares increase their odds of winning.
Once you’ve learned how to use the crossword puzzle maker at Crossword Hobbyist, follow the steps below to apply to our scholarship:
- Create your puzzle.
- Email us at [email protected] so we can waive the one time publishing fee.
- Wait for an email confirming your puzzle has been unlocked. This should about 24 hours.
- Publish your puzzle once it is unlocked.
- Fill out the application form below. We will notify winners through the email listed in the form.
Remember, no fees are required of students to apply to this scholarship. You must follow the steps as outlined above. Applications with unpublished or standard-style puzzles will not be considered.
And don’t worry: we will not own the rights to any submitted crossword puzzle. All copyrights remain with the creator.
We strongly encourage all participants to share their crossword puzzles to their websites, blogs, and social media when available. Successfully creating a crossword puzzle is a huge accomplishment! Sharing it with others is a great way to celebrate. Keep in mind that this is not a requirement for entry.
The deadline to apply is April 30th, 2020.
The winner will receive a $1,000 scholarship and a free lifetime subscription to Crossword Hobbyist and My Word Search.
Up to five finalists will also be awarded a free lifetime subscription to Crossword Hobbyist and My Word Search. Semi-finalists will receive an honorable mention on our website.
The selection committee at Crossword Hobbyist will determine the winning crossword puzzle. The committee will make their selection based on the cleverness of the theme, clues, and answers. A well-executed grid design will also be taken into consideration. The selection will be announced by May 31st, 2020.
The scholarship is to be used exclusively for school tuition and related expenses. A check for $1,000 will be paid directly to the award recipient’s college, university, or trade school.
Please email [email protected] with any questions pertaining to this scholarship.
Terms and Conditions
- Any successful applicant may be required to show proof that they are enrolled in, or have been accepted to, an accredited university, commencing studies for the Fall 2020 semester.
- International students enrolled in an American or Canadian university may apply.
- Any students who know any of the Crossword Hobbyist committee members personally are not eligible to win.
- There is no cost to apply for this scholarship. We will not request any monies from you.
- The winner of the scholarship is chosen at the sole discretion of the Selection Committee. The winner and the finalists will be announced on May 31st, 2020.
- Please direct all inquiries to [email protected]. We will do our best to respond in a timely manner.